Q.wiki offers two ways to provide external files to users.
- Attachments: Used when a file is to be made available for a wiki page. Files are integrated into the Q.wiki page and are subject to the approval workflow of the corresponding page.
- File page: Used when a file is to be linked on different Q.wiki pages. The file page has its own metadata and is subject to the approval workflow.
Table of content
- File pages
Insert attachments on Q.wiki page / Upload an external file
- Open edit mode of a page or create change proposal - see function of the document approval workflow.
- Place the cursor where the external file should be inserted into the content.
- The Upload attachment button opens the file explorer to select the file.
- The file will be inserted at the desired location on the page.
- Note: Alternatively, a file can be dragged and dropped onto the page in edit mode.
Update attachments in Q.wiki pages
- To update a file, delete it from the content in edit mode and insert the new file as described.
In the three-point menu > History, old version states of a page are called up, see also compare and restore versions. In the old version states, the external files valid at that time are displayed. A separate versioning of attachments is therefore not necessary.
Convert attachments to file pages
To convert an attachment to a file page, hold the mouse over the attachment in the page's change suggestion and press the Convert to file pages button in the attachment's pop-up.
Creating file pages and inserting them into Q.wiki pages
- The starting point is a Q.wiki page within which the file page is to be linked.
- The button Create child page opens the dialog for creating a page.
- It is recommended that the title is meaningful and tells something about the content.
- For a file page, the item Page type selects File page.
- A click on the field under Add file opens the file explorer to select the corresponding file.
- Note: Alternatively, a file can be dragged and dropped onto the field.
- Create page creates the new file page, in which the metadata for document control can still be completed.
- Save closes the process and the page can be linked from this point on using the link dialog, see Insert links.
Open content of a file page
- To open the content of a file page, navigate to the corresponding page.
- Clicking the Download file button downloads the contents of the page.
Refresh the content of a file page
- To update the content of a file page, navigate to the corresponding page.
- With Propose change or View proposed change, you can switch to the proposed change of the page. The file pages are subject to the same rights management as other Q.wiki pages - an update in the released state is therefore not possible.
- The Upload new version button opens the file explorer to select the new file.
- In addition, it is possible to edit Microsoft Office files directly via the Office interface. The Edit file with Office button is used for this purpose.
- Note: To use the Office interface, additional settings are required. Details about this and the function of the interface can be found in the following instructions: Updating Office files via the WebDAV protocol
Versioning of external files
Versioning is done in the same way as for Q.wiki content via the history of the page, see compare and restore versions.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article